Friday, November 13, 2009

A RED kind of morning.....

Holy Moly!

I'm a little stoked right now. I should begin with a little history. On opening day of trapping season, Tuesday Nov. 10th, we received a storm the likes of which we hadn't seen yet so far here in Pilot. Blowing winds with a mix of snow and rain, followed by blowing winds (30-40mph+) and freezing rain for two days. Aaaargh!!....not the best trapping weather. At least not when you are trying to learn the ropes trapping in snow. Undaunted due to my intense excitement, I made three sets anyway regardless of the forecast (that's three FOX sets - made other sets as well, but that's another story...) The three sets I made were a mixture of 1 post set, one bait station set, and one dirthole-type set. My reasoning was that I should learn a little something about trapping in snow before educating EVERY fox within a few miles - besides, it's still early. So, three sets it was. No more, I resigned myself, until I figured out a few things. Anyway, after making the three sets, I got the customary non-sleep in overnight, and checked the next day (Wednesday). What I found was disgraceful. Probably hundreds of fox tracks at all three sets, and three #2 Bridgers, seriously crusted over, frozen hopelessly into the mess. They literally stamp-trampled a hoedown over top of all three of the pans. The weather had created a nightmare for fox trapping. I covered the sets, checked some others, and then remade them on Thursday afternoon, with only nice, normal snow in the forecast....

Which brings me to this fine morning. :) I woke up today and set out at daybreak, not sure what to expect. 8 degrees and crisp outside. Immediately out the door, I stooped and checked the top layer of an area of undisturbed snow. Fine and powdery...Yessssss! Off I went. First thing on my way downriver, I noticed was that the sunrise was gonna be a nice one:
Photobucket

The first set I checked was the dirthole...uh, I mean ROCKhole set. Having grown up trapping fox in the fields of Pennsylvania, I thought this spot was particularly weird to put a fox set, really. The sign was there though, of some mice and possibly weasel using the immediate area, and the fox were definitely checking it out. The trouble was, it was a small ledge on a very steep bluff of rock. I figured, what the heck, setting on sign is setting on sign. I "flattened" the area and removed the snow from a hole within the rock. Within the hole went a gob of Asa's Nature's Call lure, appropriately covered with grass. When I walked up and saw the bouncing red ball, I had to do a double take. Here's a shot of the set from a distance, fox is laying under the ledge overhang, middle right:
Photobucket

A lil' closer:
Photobucket

And one last pic of my first Alaskan Red Fox:
Photobucket


Downstream were the other two sets, so after the dispatch and the finger warming, I rounded the rock wall to find...Another fox bouncing in the post set. Yessss!!!!!!!! A little smaller, but darker. Pics did not come out of him at the set, sorry, I tried. Following the dance with the attitude stick, I continued on, not really thinking as much about the last set as I was the first two. :) As I finally approached, I looked up.....and saw ANOTHER fox! Only, wait a minute, what the .... is he doing over there!? That's not right....hand begins to pull the .22 off the shoulder, and he is gone like yesterday's freezing rain. Dang! Looked to the set...nada. Hmmm... After walking over, I find this:
Photobucket

I couldn't believe it. Should have had three for three. Somehow the wax paper got flipped up or something on this third set and ended up between the jaws, allowing his foot to slip out. Hair on the paper and all told the story. If it was the fox I saw running through the brush, I don't know, but there is one that's a little smarter now. But it was not a day to be unhappy that's for sure. How could you be upset when you're taking pictures like these:
Photobucket

Photobucket
Best Friday the 13th I may have ever had!

No comments:

Post a Comment