Monday, November 16, 2009

Bring on the canines!

Today was a huge goose egg on the existing two sets that were remade. This morning's check yielded an investigation of one set (the fox came to within 10 feet, but no closer), and the other had tracks of the two legged variety. Seems like catch circles attract humans around here as well.....

So, at any rate, I went upstream instead of the customary down. And, I found some great set locations. I ended up making four more sets. Two posts and two snow holes. One location has great potential for a double. It probably has a lot to do with the way I was taught, but I really kind of favor setting for doubles. This place just screamed double when I first laid eyes on it. We'll see. I also haven't ever really seen success on the first night of a new post set - but I have seen success on a post that was set double with a dirthole that connected. Nothing says "come on over here!" to a fox like another fox, if it's me you're asking, and I don't think I'm alone. :)

Anyway, here's a video of the action today - three of the sets are on this clip - and I tried to demonstrate what I've been doing with the "snow hole" sets. It may take a while to load because it is about 9 minutes long in total. Patience may be necessary once you click on it - sorry.... Above all else, watch for the killer location when I mention "not being able to pass this up" - it is maybe the craziest example of fox sign I've seen yet!



I simply will not get much sleep tonight, that is certain. Only minimal sets out, but there sure is cause for excitement! I am in Red Fox wonderland! In the morning I am off to St. Mary's to get one of the new snowmachines, and checking a few marten sets on the way home. But I am checking the fox sets before daylight (which is not until 9:30 or so) and then after I get back also, as I have seen activity right around sunrise many times. I am thinking my next post tomorrow will be full of pics and video! Can't freaking wait.....

No comments:

Post a Comment