Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The "Eels" are running!!!!

Well, have to keep busy a few more days until the opener on the 10th, so tonight we went downriver from the village to check out the "eel" fishing scene. Folks have been catching these things by the burlap sack full, but apparently the run only lasts a couple days max.

I, along with a lot of other folks, happen to call the critters Lampreys, but if you do that around here, you will get 'corrected'. Quick. At any rate, I thought I would share some pics....

An elder on the way to his fishing hole...
Photobucket

The scene...
Photobucket

Everyone in the village (except me and Sarah) has an 'eel stick', which is basically a long (8 feet-ish) pole with nails protruding from all sides that has been whittled to a narrow width to ease its path through the water. You swing the pole out and up, and then back down to a hanging position. As soon as you feel a bump (or several), you raise the stick and flip the little suckers up onto the ice. The activity is great - keeps you warm on those looo0000ong periods between passing schools of, uh,.....eels. :)

Here I am with a pilfered eel stick:
Photobucket

Success!
Photobucket

Tell me this little beauty doesn't look appetizing?!
Photobucket

For those who haven't ever seen the inside of a lamprey's mouth...
Photobucket

All in all, it sure beat sitting around the house waiting for Tuesday to get here, but I'm not convinced I want them for dinner when there's still sheefish and pike in the freezer...

No comments:

Post a Comment