Saturday, November 9, 2013

Trapping....Year 30...




The writing on the back of this polaroid just says one thing...  " '83 " .    I can still picture every inch of this field in my mind's eye - back on the Schoonmakers' farm.  Many times I chased fireflies in that field, or chased Dad around with walnuts in one of our heated battles.  Not very far from that spot I had my first ever encounter with a buck, bow in hand, when I was just about twice as old as I am in this picture.  That number, 83, makes this thirty years now of digging in the dirt and snow.  From fox to coon to possums to lynx to marten...its been a heck of a journey.  There is something about trapping that gets into your blood.  Here, on the eve of opening day, here in my thirtieth year of setting steel, I am looking outside at the absolutely horrible conditions - blowing rain, ready to freeze -  and smiling with anticipation.  Because I know that no matter what, regardless of the weather, I will be out there tomorrow, making sets.  Whether those first sets of the year endure the weather and connect or not really doesn't change a thing.  Trapping is something I do, and love.  You have to love it.  If you don't, all that's left is just plain work.  It has become such a part of me that I cannot imagine going through Fall and Winter without it anymore.  After all, it's been a part of me for far longer than not.  Tight Chains to all of you setting steel tomorrow.  I'll be out there with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment