Tuesday, December 8, 2009

An unlikely story...

Last night sure didn't end up like I had planned, that's for sure. About two weeks ago, I made four fox sets. Didn't see any action except refusals. One was a post and three others were snowholes. On Monday (yesterday) I got word that there was a fox in a trap from the eskimos here in the village. "Impossible!" I thought...all of those traps were under a foot or so of snow, which was then rained on for THREE DAYS last weekend. We're talking slush and ice nightmare, everywhere. Not what you would envision as trapping weather. I even had pulled one of the sets, and left the others thinking they were so far removed from being functional that I could let them be. Not so. Last night S and I went to the location of the first trap after getting the news. I was thinking that I should have stayed home and watched the rest of the MNF game, when I saw a snapped off trap. Getting closer, I saw a few blood drops and a conveniently placed stick. Someone whacked the fox and removed it. "Okay, I thought, they'll probably leave it at the house or at work or something for me. But how in the HELL did that fox even get caught!!?!!?!?" Moving on. We arrived at the second set. Another dead fox, this time still IN the trap. Woohoo! the night is getting better. We then got to the third and final set and there, in all his glory, was a bouncing, cherry red, Red fox. Three for three! In the worst conditions I could have imagined. The snowhole sets WORK, Baby! Yesssssss!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the two I brought home - this pic is washed out and does them NO justice in terms of color, but there they are. Sharpen up the knives, folks!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment