Saturday, October 24, 2009

And So It Begins...

Today is October 24th, and as I look out the window I see that the first ice has started to form on the incredible river that is the Yukon. I am reminded that it is nearly November, and the season opens for, basically, all things trappable in this GMU on the 1rst. (excluding beaver, which is already open here - more on that in the next post) Though not my first season trapping in Alaska, this will be my first year trapping the Interior, and I am perhaps more excited to get the season underway than ever before. Went on a short scouting walk today, as last night was our first accumulating snowfall of the year. Lots of fox tracks, but zero marten (somewhat expected this in the particular area where Sarah and I were on this day) and, more surprisingly, zero weasel tracks either. This season should encompass more than one 'first' for me in terms of species, and it will be hard to not 'overdiversify', in the sense of spreading myself too thin. I am not in it for the money, however, I am in it for the incredible experience that I am about to undergo. After learning a few things, focus will likely change, but, for now, I am just basking in the fact that I have been blessed with opportunity that one cannot find just anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment